The Backlot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Karen's Lasagna and Brenda's Foil wrapped Pot Roast

Go down

Karen's Lasagna and Brenda's Foil wrapped Pot Roast Empty Karen's Lasagna and Brenda's Foil wrapped Pot Roast

Post by chickendoodle Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:37 pm

One of my friends asked me to type up my lasagna recipe. I decided I would put it here too. Brenda is my roommate from college. Her pot roast recipe is really good.

Karen’s Lasagna

I have a lasagna pan that is slightly bigger than a cake pan. The amount of noodles may be different for you.

Ingredients:

· 2 pounds of ground beef

· salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (a few sprinkles of each)

· 2 - 24oz cans of Hunts spaghetti sauce (You can use any flavor. I have a theory of the more cheese the better so I use the “4 cheese” flavor)

· 1 - 32 oz container of ricotta cheese  

· 1 – 8oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese

· 1 – 8oz bag of shredded parmesan cheese

· 1 – 8oz bag of shredded combination mozzarella and provolone cheese (This was the Target brand. I am not sure if other stores or Kraft have that combination. If you can’t find the combination, just get mozzarella)

· 7-10 lasagna noodles (My pan takes 10 but like I said, it is a larger pan 9x15 ½)

Directions:

· Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

· Brown the ground beef with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
· Drain off any grease.
· Return the meat to the pan
· Add the 2 cans of spaghetti sauce.
· Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer
· While the meat/spaghetti sauce is simmering, cook the noodles. When they are done, drain them and run cold water on them so you will be able to pick them up when you put them in the lasagna pan.

· When the meat/sauce and noodles are all done, start to make the lasagna. I usually spray the pan to make it easier to clean.

· Put a thin layer of the meat/sauce in the bottom of the pan, just covering the bottom. You will be making 3 layers of meat sauce so judge accordingly. I usually make the bottom layer really thin and put a little more on the other 2 layers.

· Put a layer of the noodles, covering the meat/sauce.
· Spread another layer of meat sauce.
· Open the ricotta cheese and take out a handful, drop small (quarter size) clumps all over the sauce. The clumps don’t have to touch. You will use about ½ the container.
· Using ½ of each bag, spread shredded cheddar, mozzarella/provolone, and parmesan over the ricotta.

· Cover the cheese layer with more noodles.
· Spread another layer of meat sauce. (This is your last layer of meat sauce so you can use all that is left.)
· Using the other ½ of the ricotta container, repeat adding the ricotta cheese like you did before.
· Using the other ½ of each bag, spread shredded cheddar, mozzarella/provolone, and parmesan over the ricotta.

Bake at 350. Check it after 45 min. It should be slightly brown on top. In my oven I usually have to leave it in for an additional 15 min for a total of an hour. I usually put a cookie sheet under it or on the bottom rack incase it boils over.
chickendoodle
chickendoodle

Back to top Go down

Karen's Lasagna and Brenda's Foil wrapped Pot Roast Empty Brenda's Pot Roast In Foil

Post by chickendoodle Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:39 pm

Brenda's Pot Roast In Foil
4-pound beef arm, blade or cross rib pot roast*
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) cream of mushroom soup
8 small potatoes
8 medium carrots, cut crosswise into halves
2 tablespoons water
Place piece of foil, 30x18 inches, in ungreased pan, 13x9x2 inches.  Place beef in pan.  Mix soup and Bouillon-Onion Mix; spread over beef.  Add vegetables; sprinkle with water.  Fold foil over and seal.  Cook in 300 degree oven 4 hours.  Skim fat from gravy; serve gravy with beef.  8 servings.
*3-pound beef bottom round, rolled rump, tip or chuck eye roast can be substituted for the bone-in beef.

Bouillon-Onion Mix
Mix ¼ cup instant minced onion, 2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon and ½ teaspoon onion powder.  (To make soup, stir mix into 4 cups boiling water; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 5 minutes.)
Note:  1 package (1 3/8 ounces) onion soup mix can be substituted for the Bouillon-Onion Mix.
I don’t use the foil but use a Reynold’s Oven Bag instead.  I also cut some celery sticks in also.
chickendoodle
chickendoodle

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum